Travel pet peeves? We all have them. I’m a pretty laid back person and not too easily annoyed or agitated. But, when it comes to travel and the tons of people you have to interact with in the digital and analog world, there’s guaranteed to be some frustrating situations. As much as I try not to let any of it get to me, there are some things that really grind my gears!
Here’s a look at my top 5 travel pet peeves
5. Dirty facilities – You’re sitting in the gate area waiting to board your flight. The previous passengers have already deplaned and the agent makes an announcement that they are going to start boarding as soon as the plane is cleaned. Well, 15 or 20 minutes pass and they begin boarding. I arrive in my seat to find some mystery substance caked on my seat and very visible signs of the last passenger’s lunch on my tray table. *rolls eyes* So what was that “cleaning” all about and why did MY seat get missed…again?
4. Inconsiderate Passengers — This is actually a larger and over arching pet peeve that includes so much from the rude folks who like to talk REALLY loud on their cellphone in public to those who unnecessarily yell and scream at gate agents when they miss their flight. One of my favorites, however, are those that try to infringe on my personal space on a flight. I’m little and there’s always a little extra room in my seat. Just enough for me to readjust and get comfortable enough to try to take a nap. Can you believe I’ve actually had people get mad at ME for putting down the arm rest and not allowing THEM to use MY extra space. Seriously!?!?
3. Unruly Children – Babies get fussy and cry. I understand that, but that’s not what I’m talking about here. I don’t mean to offend anyone, but this is for all of the wild, unruly kids (and their parents) who think it’s OK for little Susie to kick the back of my seat or Bobby to throw his toys at my head and not do anything about it. Parents, please understand that YOU are the parent and YOU are ultimately responsible for how your child behaves. This does not start once you decide to go on a trip and arrive at the airport. It’s a learned behavior that starts at home in day to day life. If you haven’t started on this path with your children yet, please don’t be offended when I ask you (and your child) to knock it off!
2. Germ Spreaders – Being sick is not fun, especially when traveling. So spare us all and do everything possible not to spread your cooties to others when on the road. If you are that sick and contagious, don’t travel. If you still must be out, please, please, please practice these common courtesies: 1.) cover your mouth when you cough and sneeze 2.) Wash your hands often and 3.) Keep your germs to yourself. Please and thank you!
And last, but certainly, not least is….
1. Poor customer service – This too can encompass so many different things, but what really irks me the most is inconsistency in service. There should be no difference in how I’m greeted or serviced based on what I’m wearing or how I look. You wouldn’t believe some of the comments and attitude I’ve gotten when I’m in jeans and chucks as opposed to business casual attire. Regardless of what I’m wearing, I’m still the same person, spending the same money and expect to be treated the exact same way! Don’t you?
Honorable mentions: Travel snobs and the traveler-vs-tourist debate
So what are your travel pet peeves?
Didn’t enter a post for this carnival? No worries, you have another opportunity in October and I’ll be your host! Check out the full schedule and additional details here: http://absolutetraveladdict.com/2012/07/31/traveling-brown-girls-blog-carnival/
Follow along on Twitter with the #Traveltastic hashtag and check out the pet peeves from other participants here: http://1browngirl.blogspot.com/2012/08/step-right-up-travel-etiquette.html